Private area


These frequently asked questions can provide you with the right information and advice in relation to your day-to-day or long-term health issues based upon your particular needs. It relates to yourself, family and friends and carers or the cared for.

Common questions

How do I register as disabled?

Information on how to register as disabled is available on the NHS website

Where can I get help with health costs?

A full guide to help with health costs (including prescription charges, dental treatment and more) is available on the Citizens Advice website.

There are extra concessions for those over 60 – Age UK has a factsheet with further information: Help with care costs (pdf)

What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

It is a benefit you may be able to claim in place of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to help you with extra costs if you have a long term health condition or disability. Guides to PIPDLAClaimant Journey and Claimant Factsheet

What are my healthcare rights?

The My Care My Choice website has information about legal and financial issues.

See Your healthcare rights on the AgeUK website.

How do I find out about respite and short breaks for my child with a learning disability and/or physical disability?

The Together Trust is a local charity that provides a variety of short breaks and respite care. Find out more.

I have a learning and/or physical disability how do I find out about support at home or in the community?

If you, or the person you care for, has a disability or sensory loss then find out the services and support available on the My Care My Choice website.


The Together Trust is a local charity that provides a wide range of support for people.

Where can I find wheelchairs/mobility scooters to hire in Stockport?

Shopmobility Stockport allows its users to hire wheelchairs, mobility scooters and sighted guides to get round Stockport. To use the scooters and guides you will need to become a member. Non-members can hire a wheelchair for a day or longer. The use of the service is not just limited to town centre shopping but can also be used for hospital appointments or visits and some leisure activities.

My child has received a diagnosis of autism, where can I get further support?

The Together Trust is a local charity that has a wide range of autism services for young people and adults. Find out more.

Am I eligible for a Stockport Foodbank voucher?

If you are facing a crisis then the answer is probably yes. A crisis will vary from one person to another, it may be for reasons such as benefit delays, unemployment, short working hours, illness, an unexpected bill – whatever your crisis go and talk to one of Stockport Foodbank’s voucher agencies.

Where can I get a Stockport Foodbank voucher?

To get a Stockport Foodbank voucher there are a large number of voucher agencies that you can visit, including Stockport Direct Local Centres, Job Centre Plus, Citizens Advice Stockport, Housing Officers, Children Centres, Health Visitors or Social workers.

I need help with home maintenance / adaptations / cooking / cleaning / recreation activities, what can I do?

These types of services (and others) are commonly referred to as community care services. For further information on how to access these, see: Community care on the Citizens Advice website.

The My Care My Choice website has information about the support and services that are available to help you stay well and that can help you to remain living safely and independently at home.

The Staying Put Scheme is Stockport’s Home Improvement Agency. The scheme is to help older homeowners and people with disabilities to continue living independently, comfortably and safely in their own home for as long as possible.

Do you live with a long term health condition?

You will find tips, suggestions and strategies to help you manage your condition better and take more control from day to day on the Stockport NHS Expert Patients Programme.

Where can I find information on long-term / continuing healthcare?

If you (or someone you know) is in need of ongoing healthcare, either at home or in a care home, you can find further details on the NHS website.

Do you have type 2 diabetes?

The X-PERT is a six-week group education programme run by Stockport NHS.

I am considering / looking for a care home, where do I start?

Age UK has produced a full guide to care homes (pdf) and finding the right care for you. Contact the local Placement Service via

The My Care My Choice website offers advice and information on care homes and housing choices.

I am a carer / have recently taken on a caring role. Where can I get support?

The My Care My Choice website has advice on being a carer in Stockport and the support carers can access.

I am a carer, where can I find advice on my health?

If you are a carer, Signpost Stockport for Carers offers information and advice about maintaining and looking after your health to help you continue in your caring role.

Where can I find a counsellor in Stockport?

A directory of both local and national counsellors can be found on the Counselling Directory website

Useful information

Citizens Advice

For all local advice and an online lifestyle tool see Healthy Stockport

Healthwatch Stockport

Change4Life, healthy food and activity tips

Safer Stockport Partnership

Together Trust

Age UK Stockport

Citizens Advice Stockport

Stockport FLAG

Stockport and District Mind

Signpost Stockport for Carers

Can’t find what you need?

Check SAIL partner’s websites, or send us a message

Got what you were looking for?

Let us know, and help us make this website better

Please complete a quick SAIL Website Feedback Survey

Translate »