Private area

Family and relationships

family and relationships
We all have times when we need information and advice on how to cope with family and relationship issues including relationship problems, divorce and separation, children and young people, making wills and bereavement. The following questions will help you find out what support is available to you.

Common questions

How do I register a birth?

Full information on registering a birth within Stockport is available on the Stockport Council website.

There has been a death in the family, what do I need to do?

Age UK have produced a full guide on the practical things that need to be done when someone dies. You can access all the information here: What to do when someone dies and Bereavement.

I would like to get married, how do I arrange this?

Full information on marriages can be found on the Stockport Council’s website. Age UK also has information around relationships in later life.

I am thinking about getting a divorce, what can I do?

If you are considering separation or divorce, the Citizens Advice website has information on ending relationships.

How do I gain access to my children?

The Advicenow website has a useful guide on making arrangements for children.

What are the rights of grandparents?

The Grandparents Association website has information on the rights of grandparents

I have recently taken on a caring role. Where can I get support?

The My Care My Choice website has advice on being a carer in Stockport and the support carers can access.

Signpost Stockport for Carers offers a range of practical and emotional support for unpaid carers.

Where can I get support if I am in an abusive situation?

Full information for domestic violence can be found on the Stockport Without Abuse website, or by phoning the 24-hour National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline on: 0808 2000 247

Why can it be hard to leave an abusive situation?

Leaving an abusive relationship is a very long and difficult process. This is made difficult for a range of reasons. If someone is experiencing domestic violence, they may:

  • feel frightened and uncertain about what the future will hold
  • feel frightened for the children
  • feel it is in the children’s best interests to stay in the family home
  • feel ashamed and reluctant to tell or seek help
  • have such low confidence and self-esteem that making decisions is a confusing and difficult task
  • be isolated from family and friends and feel they have no one to turn to
  • be worried about financial security if they leave
  • not have information on services available
  • have received a negative response, when they reached out to someone for support in the past
  • be too exhausted to take on any life changes or major decisions
  • still have feelings of love for their partner and fond memories of how things used to be
  • hope and believe that things will get better

It is important to remember, leaving is a process and not an event. Society has a responsibility to support women who make that difficult decision. All agencies can play a role in providing support during a woman and children’s help seeking process. A positive initial response is crucial. Women and children need to be believed, supported and encouraged to take positive steps for their own safety and well-being.

Unfortunately leaving does not always stop the violence and many women are still exposed to abuse when they leave the relationship. Research has shown that women can be at higher risk during this time. The British Crime Survey found that 37% of women studied who had left their abusive partner reported that the violence continued. Research by Lees (2000) highlighted that women are at greatest risk of homicide at the point of separation or after leaving a violent partner.

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence is intentional and persistent abusive behaviour which is based on an unequal position of power and control. Domestic violence can include a range of behaviours used by one person to control another with whom they have, or have had, a close or family relationship.

Domestic violence takes many forms, physical, psychological, economic, sexual and emotional and can often be a combination of several of these. It includes forms of violent and controlling behaviour such as: physical assault, sexual abuse, rape, threats and intimidation, harassment, humiliating and controlling behaviour, withholding of finances, economic manipulation, deprivation, isolation, belittling and constant unreasonable criticism. Domestic violence is one element in the overall issue of violence against women, which includes, among other crimes, murder, rape, sexual assault, trafficking, sexual stalking and sexual harassment.

Domestic violence often occurs over a period of time. Victims of domestic violence will experience a range of emotions, including fear, reluctance, uncertainty, worry and stress. Domestic violence can impact upon a person’s self-esteem and confidence, all of which can make leaving an abusive relationship a daunting and frightening step.

Does domestic violence happen in gay/lesbian/bisexual or transgender relationships?

Domestic violence can happen to anyone. Victims of domestic violence can include lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals. Stockport Without Abuse works with a range of relevant organisations to raise awareness in the wider community and elsewhere of the impact of homophobic, transphobic and same sex domestic violence on the lives of LGBT people. Support is also available from other specialist agencies.

What are Special Educational Needs?

Children with Special Educational Needs and their families will struggle with some or all of the following difficulties, in their day to day lives.

  • Difficulties thinking and understanding
  • Physical or sensory difficulties
  • Emotional and behavioural difficulties
  • Difficulties with speech and language
  • How they relate to and behave with other people.

What help an assistance might children with Special Educational Needs need in school?

In school, children and young people with Special Education Needs will need help and assistance with some or all of the following:

  • Reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • Expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • Making friends or relating to adults
  • Behaving properly in school
  • Organising themselves
  • Sensory or physical needs which may affect them in school
  • Help getting to and from school
  • Help accessing activities in their local community.

What is Stockport’s Local Offer?

The local offer is a webpage that host advice and information for children and young people and their families, regarding all aspects of disabilities and special educational needs: Click each question below for more information and advice on that specific area:

Early years and child care
Education and learning
Health services
Social care
Training and employment
Independent living
Leisure and activities
Personal budgets.

How do I find out about respite and short breaks for my child with a learning disability and/or physical disability?

If you, or the person you care for, has a disability or sensory loss then find out the services and support available through Stockport Council or on the My Care, My Choice website.

The Together Trust is a local charity that provides a variety of short breaks and respite care. Find out more.

I have a learning and/or physical disability how do I find out about support at home or in the community?

If you, or the person you care for, has a disability or sensory loss then find out the services and support available on the My Care My Choice website.

The Together Trust is a local charity that provides a wide range of support for people. Find out more.

I need help with home maintenance / adaptations / cooking / cleaning / recreation activities, what can I do?

The My Care My Choice website has information about the support and services that are available to help you stay well and that can help you to remain living safely and independently at home.

The Staying Put Scheme is Stockport’s Home Improvement Agency. The scheme is to help older homeowners and people with disabilities to continue living independently, comfortably and safely in their own home for as long as possible.

My child has received a diagnosis of autism, where can I get further support?

The Together Trust is a local charity that has a wide range of autism services for young people and adults. Find out more.

I am thinking about adoption, where can I find out more?

Stockport Council has information for Stockport residents interested in adoption.

I am thinking about fostering, where can I find out more?

Stockport Council’s fostering service has been ‘Outstanding’ since 2007. The Together Trust is a charity and is also an ‘Outstanding’ fostering agency based in Stockport.

I have been looking after somebody's child for more than 28 days, do I need to tell someone?

When a child under 16 (or 18 if disabled) is cared for for more than 28 days by an adult who is not a close relative then it is called ‘private fostering’. Stockport Council has information about private fostering.

Useful information

Citizens Advice

Age UK Stockport

Citizens Advice Stockport

Stockport FLAG

Signpost Stockport for Carers

My Care My Choice (Stockport Council)

Stockport and District Mind

Stockport Without Abuse

Together Trust

Change4Life, healthy food and activity tips

Can’t find what you need?

Check SAIL partner’s websites, or send us a message

Got what you were looking for?

Let us know, and help us make this website better

Please complete a quick SAIL Website Feedback Survey

Translate »